Are you seeking a device to protect your Ethernet data lines from surges and lighting? Nowadays, the interruption can occur in the system due to the emergence of 1000 and 1000 Base-T Ethernet. It can harm your devices and reduce their life span unless you make necessary arrangements. The ideal way to protect them is by installing the best Ethernet surge protectors. They are created for protecting sensitive equipment from things like lightning surges and hits. The continuous improvements in the data speeds have increased the need for connecting a surge protector to the system.
In this post, we will talk about this equipment in detail, along with suggesting the top models in the market. Stay with us until the end and gain some valuable information about it.
How does Ethernet Surge Protector work?
As we all know, the main purpose of an Ethernet surge protector is to protect the Ethernet data lines from spikes in the voltage. It is used for a variety of electronic devices that range from computer equipment to entertainment devices. If we talk about simple surge protectors, they work directly by plugging into the socket and give lots of female plugs where the other devices can be connected. When it comes to Ethernet surge protector, the way of working is a little bit and allow us to explain about it in detail below:
- An Ethernet surge protector needs to be installed in the socket similarly as the traditional surge protectors, but there is a catch. Instead of just providing female plugs, it offers both in and out sockets where the Ethernet cables are plugged to give much-needed protection from surges.
- Despite being the same as other surge protectors, there is an added level of protection provided by this equipment to the Ethernet data cables.
- So, what you understand that it works similarly as a surge protector, except offering plugs for Ethernet cables. For those who don’t know, an Ethernet cable can come from a router, a modem, and lots of other devices.
- It is plugged into the Ethernet surge protector so that damage from surging can be prevented.
We believe that you understand how this equipment work and its difference from a surge protector.
Which are the top 5 best Ethernet surge protectors in 2020?
Now, this one is a tricky task, especially for people who are buying it for the first time. No doubt it is low-cost equipment, but that doesn’t mean that you invest money in any other unit. Please note that the Ethernet cables are connected to your Wifi router, computer, or other costly equipment that can get harmed due to surge or lightning. That’s why it is important that you invest money in quality equipment that is capable enough to protect your system.
The main mission of this blog is to help the readers most authentically, and that’s why our professional team researched to create a list of top 5 best Ethernet surge protectors to buy this year. The research process has gone through extensive testing to ensure buyers get access to the right content. Now, check out the list without further delay and choose one that suits you perfectly.
1. APC 11-Outlet Ethernet Surge Protector (Editor’s choice)
The list will start with the product that comes with all features one can think in an Ethernet surge protector. This APC model has 11 outlets capable of offering an uninterruptible power supply to the cable system. There are nice extras provided by the manufacturer to ensure that buyers have a satisfying experience. Additionally, the surge protector has a pretty nice and convincing construction that can look brilliant in the room.
The foremost thing that our team wants to talk about this product is its 3020-joule power strip. It makes sure the required amount of durability delivered to the system. To improve the authenticity, the company sells it with a lifetime warranty.
Clever power cord construction
Another thing that we want to mention about this product is its brilliantly designed power cord. There is a 180˚ pivot added by the manufacturer that makes sure one can mount it easier. The majority of surge protectors come with inflexible points that make things messy for the buyers.
Equipment Protection Warranty
How many products in the market sell their products with an equipment protection warranty? The number is quite low, but finding the one with $100,000 is quite impossible. This superb unit provides this amount of equipment protection policy to the quite incredible customers.
There are 11 total power surge protector outlets added in this product, and each one has sliding safety shutters. Six out of them are block spaced so that the larger adapters can be accommodated.
- The lifetime warranty work as an insurance policy for the equipment that you chose with this surge protector
- The available of 180˚ pivot assists in making the installation process easier.
- Known to offer complete protection from power surges and lighting in data lines
- Crafted by the company in extremely wonderful design
- Many users complain about non-working of one or two outlets after a certain time of use
- Switches are made from very average plastic that could have been improved.
If you want to buy a unit that gives protection to data lines without affecting the speed of your data lines, then shop this product without researching anything further. It is easy to install an Ethernet surge protector that lets a single RJ-45 cable offer data connection as well as electric power to a variety of devices. It includes computers, VoIP phones, security cameras, wireless access points, etc. In simple words, it has tons of functions that make this unit a deserving candidate in this list.
Line to Line protection mode
One exciting feature about this unit is its line to line Ethernet mode through which the system can be protected against different short circuits between the various nodes. It is an exceptional thing considering the main motive behind buying an Ethernet surge protector to keep the system secure from the surges.
Line to the Ground mode
Now, this feature is a different one that doesn’t come in too many units. The availability of line to ground mode prevents the short circuits that occur between the earth and network mode. Together, these modes assist in minimizing the damage from surging and lighting.
It is one of the best Ethernet surge protectors that come with bidirectional clamping options that clamp the voltage and keep them in the reference voltage limit. It can be extremely useful and make sure your devices are in good hands.
Superb metal housing with a lightning arrestor
The other important feature in this unit that we want our readers to know is an excellent unit having cast aluminum enclosure. Having such a solid metal housing ensure that the shielded current get passed via metal case quite easily.
- It is easy to install unit having tons of proven and useful features
- This multidimensional device is capable of protecting devices on both sides.
- Capable of discharging the peak value of the current quite convincingly
- It can be shopped without putting much stress on the pocket.
- Permanently attached grounding wire may be an issue for some users
- Many complain about it’s ground lead being too small.
If you are looking to buy an Ethernet surge protector with female to female connector, then this one should be your perfect choice. It is a brilliantly crafted device that you can buy at a very affordable price without hitting pocket too much hard. Using this equipment is quite easier as you only have to plug in the cable followed by grounding the device. The company has performed a superb job in fulfilling the job of a surge protector for Ethernet cables by protecting thunder and lightning.
Reliable Gigabit Surge Protection
There are very few models available in the market that offers such a level of protection to the system. In fact, we talked with many people who are using this surge protector. Many of them were using the AT&T connection, and they said how reliable their connection has become after installing this surge protector.
Extremely sturdy plastic construction
The majority of companies usually use cheap & thin quality plastic that can break down even with a single fall. However, that’s not the case with this surge protector as the manufacturer has provided a pretty sturdy housing ensuring the buyers stay free from worries. Also, the cables can fit with this construction quite easily so that the buyers don’t face any problem while making a connection.
Spark Gap Tubes
A typical Ethernet surge protector usually comes with varistors that can get explode and overheat while lighting attacks. However, this one is an extraordinary unit having spark gap tubes instead of them. They have very low chances of exploding even if there are severe lighting attacks.
Proper installation is an important thing that should happen in the case of Ethernet surge protectors. Many times people feel this issue after buying this unit, but the chances of having it with this product is an impossible thing. While testing the procedure, it provides 100% fitting with the cables, so we strongly recommend buying them.
- Protect the downstream network perfectly from the core.
- It is equipped with solid housing for proper protection against falls.
- A moisture-resistant cable added on the bottom for keeping the bugs out.
- Sold by the manufacturer at a very affordable price.
- Lack of documentation registered by many buyers
- Only connect female to female connectors
The buyers looking to buy an Ethernet surge protector at an affordable price without compromising with the quality can think about shopping this unit. It is an efficient way of protecting the devices against the surges and lighting. There is an identical RJ45 interface added on both ends. Installing this surge protector is very easy, and even a beginner can complete it.
The most convincing thing about this unit that we want to talk about is material used for manufacturing it. The company has added high-quality cast aluminum material for crafted this unit that results in high-resistance. It makes this unit a perfect option for sensitive electronic equipment against lightning and spikes.
RJ-45 interface ends
Another comfortable feature in this unit is the RJ-45 interface at both of the ends. In this device, there are no in or out cable side as both of them are identical. So, there is nothing to worry about if the device is behind any specific side. Moreover, the users don’t have to think about which side PoE comes.
Sensitive electronic equipment protection
You can provide full protection to the sensitive electronic equipment from power surges as well as spikes. The presence of high insulation material lets the signals passed comfortably without getting affected by the lighting in any manner.
Despite having tons of useful features, you can shop this unit at a very decent price. We don’t believe that one can find a better option than this one in this range. Our team has researched exclusively and found this one the most appropriate unit to buy.
- The presence of an identical RJ-45 interface eliminates confusion among the beginners.
- Capable of providing solid protection from extreme surges
- Deliver with a RoHS certification
- Create a connection using a direct grounding system
- Little bit complaints about lightning issues, but one can’t complain much at this price.
The next one in the list of best Ethernet surge protectors is this second generation model from the Ubiquiti Networks brand. It is highly capable of protecting both outdoor PoE and non-PoE systems against voltage threats like electrostatic discharge events, lighting, and surges. After buying this, you won’t have to worry about the distraction in the network system. It can work perfectly with access points, surveillance cameras, and other Ethernet equipment.
Perfect for WISP Networks
The manufacturer delivers the ETH-SP-G2 along with the ESD protection. It means you can easily protect your devices and meet particular local code requirements in the United States after installing this surge protector. This product is highly advanced and capable of absorbing the damaging ESD attacks and surges so that signals can be discharged safely into the ground.
Why should you spend more money when your requirements can be fulfilled with a low-cost solution? The ETH-SP-G2 is a cost-effective product that can give a complete protection to the Ethernet devices against lightning and surges. There is a robust built-in ESD protection added by the company in this device that results in providing an extra layer of security in the network.
Quicker installation process
Apart from providing tremendous performance, the company has tried to make sure that the buyers have a convenient operation. That’s why they have designed this product for easy, plug, and play installation that even a beginner can do easily. We don’t find even a single complaint about the installation process in this unit.
We can’t miss mentioning the beautiful craftsmanship performed by the manufacturer in this unit. With a weight of nearly 1 pound, its white color appearance can boost the beauty of any place.
- Equipped with two Ethernet jacks for the convenience of the buyers
- Fully capable of securing the Outdoor PoE devices that the majority of Ethernet surge protector fails to do
- Provide both ESD as well as surge protection to the system
- Designed in such a way that anyone can easily install it
- Poor arrangements made for grounding process
- Complaints about getting cracked after accidental falls
Factors to consider before buying the Ethernet surge protector?
If you are completely new about the Ethernet surge protectors, then you should read this too. It will be helpful for you to choose the right Ethernet surge protector. Without any delay, let’s see things to check below:
Ease of plugging
The foremost thing that you need to consider while buying an Ethernet surge protector is how easy it gets installed in the system. It shouldn’t be complicated in such a way that you get trapped in the wires. Also, the device should be compatible with the equipment you want to protect.
No matter which product you buy, it is important to stay within your budget. If you believe that the costliest products are always better, then it is time to change your thoughts. Our team has added lots of quality Ethernet surge protectors that can be shopped under the price of $20. So, be a smart person and go for the quality product that fits your budget.
Cord length and plug construction
There won’t be any benefit of buying a unit that doesn’t come with an adequate cord that can reach a grounded outlet. So, have a look at the length of the cord as well as the construction of the plug that is very important. Choose a surge protector having a longer cord along with a right-angle plug.
Don’t forget checking what kind of warranty offered by the manufacturer on the Ethernet surge protector. The more warranty you have, the better it is. Try to stay away from the units that don’t come with any sort of warranty.
If you keep the things mentioned above in mind, then you will end up shopping the perfect Ethernet surge protector.
How to install an Ethernet surge protector?
Installing the Ethernet surge protector is quite simple if you have proper knowledge about the process. If you lack that knowledge, then there is nothing to worry about as our team is here to help the readers. You need to perform the following steps for completing the process conveniently.
- First of all, we suggest you install the surge protector near the Ethernet equipment according to the convenience. The more it will be to the device, the better it will be. We will tell you about the pole mounting process in this guide.
- Now, there is a slot located usually in the backside of an Ethernet surge protector. Here, you have to thread a cable tire. And wrap it around the pole for securing.
- That’s not guys, the device is securely tied on the pool and now the only thing you need to do is connecting them with the system.
What have you learned by reading this complete post? We believe that our team succeeds in providing you pretty useful details about the best Ethernet surge protectors. Now, you only need to do is choosing one of them and protecting the Ethernet devices from lightning and surges.
You may also check: